Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Yield: 9 servings
- Mazola Pure® Cooking Spray
- GINGERBREAD CAKE:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon Argo® Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Spice Islands® Ground Saigon Cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup Karo® Dark Corn Syrup
- 1/2 cup Mazola® Corn Oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup warm water
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Argo® Corn Starch
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter OR margarine
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
- For GINGERBREAD CAKE:
Mix flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Add molasses, corn syrup, oil and egg; beat until smooth. Beat in water.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool.
- For LEMON SAUCE:
Mix sugar and corn starch in small sauce pan. Gradually stir in water.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Boil and stir for 1 minute; remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel, juice, and butter.
- Serve sauce warm or cool with gingerbread cake. Refrigerate any leftover sauce.