Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: per batch, 10 to 15 minutes
Yield: 6 dozen cookies
- 1-1/3 cups Argo® or Kingsford’s® Corn Starch
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, plus additional 1 to 2 tablespoons as needed
- Red food coloring, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- For COOKIES: Combine corn starch, flour and 2/3 cup powdered sugar in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat 2 cups butter in a large bowl with a mixer at medium speed until softened and smooth. Add the corn starch mixture, vanilla and 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon peel; beat well. (If necessary, refrigerate dough 1 hour or until easy to handle.)
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls and place them 1-1/2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar to prevent sticking. Bake 10 to 15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For ICING: Beat together in a medium bowl 1/3 cup butter and 1 teaspoon lemon peel until butter is softened. Add 4 cups powdered sugar and lemon juice; beat until well combined, adding additional tablespoons lemon juice or milk, if needed, to reach spreadable consistency. Add red food coloring, if desired. Decorate cookies with icing. Store in a tightly covered container.